Welcome to Yogi Sticks!

Do you know your Gomukasana from your Adho Mukha Svanasana? Is your Vrksasana all it can be? And how do you feel about Supta Baddha Konasana? Do you know what I'm even talking about?

Sometimes the Sanskrit - however beautiful it sounds - is not very helpful. So, to encourage my students to expand their yoga practice into their home, I sketch the poses we practice during class on a chart and add the Sanskrit and common name. Hopefully, this is a useful tool to help them along in their yogic journey. I also troll the internet, books, and journals to find interesting articles about yoga and the yogic lifestyle.

Quick Energy


I've been asked to create a quick sequence to replace the need for caffeine in the afternoon, so here you go! Inversions (forward folds) send blood to your brain, chest openers/backbends open the ribcage to promote full breaths, and twists squeeze out the tensions that bog us down. The breathing practices I chose were: Breath of fire (pump the belly on the exhale), 4 sips in through the nose and 1 long exhale through the mouth, and/or Breath of Joy (3 inhales with arms swinging up-out-up and exhale as you fold forward). I hope this provides you with a more productive afternoon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment