Welcome to Yogi Sticks!

Do you know your Gomukasana from your Adho Mukha Svanasana? Is your Vrksasana all it can be? And how do you feel about Supta Baddha Konasana? Do you know what I'm even talking about?

Sometimes the Sanskrit - however beautiful it sounds - is not very helpful. So, to encourage my students to expand their yoga practice into their home, I sketch the poses we practice during class on a chart and add the Sanskrit and common name. Hopefully, this is a useful tool to help them along in their yogic journey. I also troll the internet, books, and journals to find interesting articles about yoga and the yogic lifestyle.

9-9-10 Forward Fold: Uttanasana

Has it really been 9 days since I posted? I apologize and promise to get it together now that school has started. I should be back on a schedule soon... Wednesday evening we worked on Forward Fold (Uttanasana). In the above illustration, note that the back of the legs (from glutes through heels) is stretching. Likewise, the fronts of the thighs are contracting, allowing the hamstrings to relax. Easier said than done, right? But, trust me when I tell you that forward fold is a great antidote to stress, as it calms the brain and relieves minor depression. According to Yoga Journal, Uttanasana stimulates the liver and kidneys, and obviously stretches the hamstrings, calves, hips. The pose strengthens the thighs and knees, improves digestions, helps relieve the symptoms of menopause, and reduces fatigue and anxiety. Folds are even known to relieve headaches, insomnia, asthma, high blood pressure, infertility, osteoporosis, and sinusitis. WOW!

I hope the practice left you feeling calm, yet energized!
I still have one week left teaching on Indian Shores (Community Ctr, next to Salt Rock on Gulf Blvd) at 9 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. It's only $6 - hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment