Welcome to Yogi Sticks!

Do you know your Gomukasana from your Adho Mukha Svanasana? Is your Vrksasana all it can be? And how do you feel about Supta Baddha Konasana? Do you know what I'm even talking about?

Sometimes the Sanskrit - however beautiful it sounds - is not very helpful. So, to encourage my students to expand their yoga practice into their home, I sketch the poses we practice during class on a chart and add the Sanskrit and common name. Hopefully, this is a useful tool to help them along in their yogic journey. I also troll the internet, books, and journals to find interesting articles about yoga and the yogic lifestyle.

4-12-10 Neck and Upper Back


Between spring cleaning, gardening, weather that begs you to be active outdoors, and hunching over a calculator and pencil (or computer) finishing up taxes, we tend to overuse our necks and back this time of year. So I put together this class to help alleviate some of the pain you may be experiencing. And even if you are lucky enough to be pain free, this is a great sequence to relieve stress and tension. Remember to keep the collarbones moving away from each other, opening the chest.
During our pranayam practice (supported fish on a blanket - sounds like a new brunch food), I recommended using a breath meditation from Thich Nhat Hanh to bring us into present moment awareness. He is a Zen master, poet, and artist with several books (several available at local libraries)- beautiful prose and accessible meditation instructions. Here it is:
Inhale: "Breathing in, I calm my body."
Exhale: "Breathing out, I smile."
During savasana, I also shared a breath from Thich Nhat Hanh to use as an awareness "guide":
Inhale: "Dwelling in the present moment,
Exhale: "I know this is a wonderful moment."
Tonight's class quote: "The wealth of a soul is measured by how much it can feel; its poverty by how little." - William R. Alger

No comments:

Post a Comment