Welcome to Yogi Sticks!

Do you know your Gomukasana from your Adho Mukha Svanasana? Is your Vrksasana all it can be? And how do you feel about Supta Baddha Konasana? Do you know what I'm even talking about?

Sometimes the Sanskrit - however beautiful it sounds - is not very helpful. So, to encourage my students to expand their yoga practice into their home, I sketch the poses we practice during class on a chart and add the Sanskrit and common name. Hopefully, this is a useful tool to help them along in their yogic journey. I also troll the internet, books, and journals to find interesting articles about yoga and the yogic lifestyle.

2-3-10 Chakras and Inner Focus


Tonight's practice was designed to stimulate and realign your chakras. Chakras are energy centers of your body - like spinning wheels connecting different energy channels (called Nadis). Even if you aren't interested in chakras or other yogic philosophy, this series of poses provides a well-rounded yoga practice. On the sketch above, I colored dots in the squares to denote which chakra we were focusing on: Red (root, tailbone), Orange (pelvis), Yellow (solar plexus), Green (heart), Blue (throat), Indigo (third eye), White/lavendar/gold (crown).

Here is a representation of your chakras:
Each chakra is represented by a sound, a symbol, a color, a physical trait, a spiritual/psychological trait, and the list goes on and on. Check out the "chakra" entry on http://www.wikipedia.com/ or Google "chakra" to learn more (be forewarned, there is a lot of information!). Also keep an eye out for a workshop on The Five Tibetans at the studio (http://www.yoga4all.com/). It is practice focused on realigning your chakras that only takes a few minutes everyday - very intriguing. Judy Kovatch offers the workshop every few months.

Today's quote is from Washington Irving: "Great minds have purposes. Little minds have wishes."



3 comments:

  1. I am back. I really love this information you are providing AND being a visual person the I really appreciate the chakra representation. I also like when you post visuals of the muscle groups. It really adds to the learning experience and I know it will help me to find those places when I work out. Thank you so much.... Lynn C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/09/2010

    Thank you so much for posting these! Although in the past two posts I have been unable to click to enlarge the drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda2/11/2010

    I am so glad you are enjoying the blog and finding the postings helpful. I will try to find out why the drawings are not enlarging and fix it. Keep the comments coming!

    ReplyDelete