Welcome to Yogi Sticks!

Do you know your Gomukasana from your Adho Mukha Svanasana? Is your Vrksasana all it can be? And how do you feel about Supta Baddha Konasana? Do you know what I'm even talking about?

Sometimes the Sanskrit - however beautiful it sounds - is not very helpful. So, to encourage my students to expand their yoga practice into their home, I sketch the poses we practice during class on a chart and add the Sanskrit and common name. Hopefully, this is a useful tool to help them along in their yogic journey. I also troll the internet, books, and journals to find interesting articles about yoga and the yogic lifestyle.

1-27-10 Lunges

Since we worked on our upper body earlier this week, I wanted to focus on our lower body in different lunge variations. A couple points to emphasize when practicing lunges: be sure your front knee never extends past your toes (look for a 90 degree angle), and if your back knee is off the mat (it doesn't need to be) make sure that it is powerfully straight with the heel really reaching toward the floor.

I've had a request to trace the stick people with a fine tip marker before scanning to make it easier to read and print. So, I'll give it a try next time - and thanks for your input!!

No comments:

Post a Comment