Welcome to Yogi Sticks!

Do you know your Gomukasana from your Adho Mukha Svanasana? Is your Vrksasana all it can be? And how do you feel about Supta Baddha Konasana? Do you know what I'm even talking about?

Sometimes the Sanskrit - however beautiful it sounds - is not very helpful. So, to encourage my students to expand their yoga practice into their home, I sketch the poses we practice during class on a chart and add the Sanskrit and common name. Hopefully, this is a useful tool to help them along in their yogic journey. I also troll the internet, books, and journals to find interesting articles about yoga and the yogic lifestyle.

What Should I Eat Before Yoga?

I was asked to write a bit about what we should eat before practice to avoid upset stomachs, heartburn, and gas during (and after practice). I found this article to be helpful. For me, it's mostly trial and error, but I have found that I need to avoid eating at least an hour before practice, and the closer to practice, the more "whole" my food should be (less processed). You may want to keep a little notebook in the car to jot down your last meal or snack before practice and how it efffected you (did it make you gassy? nauseas? energetic? jittery? off-balance?). Then after practice, before leaving the parking lot, take a minute and reflect.

Does anyone out there have suggestions of what to eat or what to avoid before their yoga practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment