Welcome to Yogi Sticks!

Do you know your Gomukasana from your Adho Mukha Svanasana? Is your Vrksasana all it can be? And how do you feel about Supta Baddha Konasana? Do you know what I'm even talking about?

Sometimes the Sanskrit - however beautiful it sounds - is not very helpful. So, to encourage my students to expand their yoga practice into their home, I sketch the poses we practice during class on a chart and add the Sanskrit and common name. Hopefully, this is a useful tool to help them along in their yogic journey. I also troll the internet, books, and journals to find interesting articles about yoga and the yogic lifestyle.

Sweetwater Organic Farm


I know I've posted about this Community Supported Agriculture farm in the past, but it is worth noting that they have less than 100 shares left - and less than 100 days to sell them. Put simply, you buy a "share" of the Sweetwater Organic Farm at the beginning of the season (in other words, now) and then starting in late September or early October, you pick up your "share" at the farm each week through April/May, depending on the crops.

The shares are quite plentiful, and you never know what you will get: collards, kale, mustard, bok choi (and other choys), lots of lettuces (romaine, butter, deer tongue, red romaine, red oak), arugula, herbs, squashes, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, daikon, radishes, sunflowers, and other surprises. My family (of 4) and my in-laws (2) split one share each week and have more than enough - plus some to spread to family and friends.

On Sundays (one of the pick-up days), Sweetwater has a farmer's market that is more like a trip back in time to Woodstock - folk singers (scheduled and open-mic), tie-dye, candles, organic produce and smoothies, arts, crafts, apparel, fresh goat milk and cheese, local eggs (duck, too!). And you are encouraged to volunteer - in fact, you can earn money off of your share price for each hour you work. My kids and I have been going for 4 years now, and miss it terribly in the summer. The kids even say, "I miss real lettuce" when I open a bag for dinner.

I encourage you to check out the website www.sweetwater-organic.org and sign up - it's very reasonable for organic, local produce, especially when you split a full share!

No comments:

Post a Comment